Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Single Man


Stills from the film that show Tom Ford's use of experimentation with colour

What drew me into seeing this film was the unusual trailer that was playing on the loop DVD at my work. I think if my review isn't enough to make you want to see Tom Ford's film debut, at least check out the trailer and be amazed. Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aypyJtHzC70

The film is just as hypnotic as its trailer. Ford's use of colour and camera angles/shots are absolutely mesmerizing! And being a fan of Mad Men now, I appreciated the setting being in 1960s America. Ah I just love the fashion, cars and furniture in this film. After seeing Julianne Moore apply eyeliner to her eyes the way she did, I am determined to try it out myself!

Aside from the beauty of the look of the film, the storyline is somewhat lacking. I did thoroughly enjoy the acting by all actors (and if you're not a fan of Colin Firth's usual 'Mr Darcy' role, you'll be quite pleased by this alternative role) and the story was rather intriguing throughout, until the end though. I felt like it was missing something but I just don't know what. A Single Man was originally based on a novel by Christopher Isherwood, so I don't know if it was him that gave up near the end or Ford with the screenplay. I am intrigued to find out if someone else agrees with me on this but unfortunately I don't know anyone else who has seen it. If you have, please let me know what you think!

Despite this though, the film has done very well for itself, receiving Oscar nominations and rave reviews. I should also mention, Nicholas Hoult, who you will recognise as Tony from Skins, makes for a very sexy gay man. I feel kind of weird for saying that, but I am just hoping he is a straight man in real life so it makes me look less strange.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment