Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Badlands, Carrie & Scott Pilgrim vs the World

Okay, so I'm going to do something kind of different today, rather than review one film I'm going to post a few films I have seen since watching New York, I Love You, with a little rant about what I thought of them and then a rating. I'm doing this firstly because I'm avoiding my assignment which involves me creating an animation in Flash (kill me), and also because I've been a bit slack and haven't posted anything for nearly a month.

Badlands (1973).

The dancing scene! So adorable. And goddamn, Martin Sheen was such a babe in his time.

I absolutely adored this film. Having found out about it from reading one of my favourite coffee table books, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, I went out and purchased it straight away. Unfortunately, being as lazy as I am, I didn't get around to watching it 'til about two months after purchasing it (I still haven't watched Dr Strangelove either, which I purchased in early 2008). Martin Sheen & Sissy Spacek are perfect as the young couple on the run. A favourite part in the film of mine is when they live in their tree house home out in the middle of nowhere. There's an adorable moment when they're just dancing around to their portable radio, it's so sweet. This film has inspired me to check out Director, Malick's other stuff. The Thin Red Line is on the top of my list.
Rating: 4/5

Carrie (1976).

Oh no! Carrie got her period!

Having seen Badlands, I wanted to check out some more of Sissy Spacek's earlier stuff so decided to rent out the horror classic, Carrie. Yeah, I'm not going to lie, usually I love old horror films but Carrie has aged pretty badly. The film opens with a female changeroom at a highschool showing naked schoolgirls walking around. This was a very long opening, basically just filming breasts and bushes all in slow motion... I watched this with my friend Katie and we both just had to laugh because we didn't quite get what the point of it was and it was a little uncomfortable to watch. There's a lot of slapping of students by the gym teacher and just awkward scenes between Carrie and her mother. I enjoyed Sissy Spacek as the character Carrie but apart from that I was a little disappointed and didn't find the film all that frightening.
Rating: 2.5/5

Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

ahhhhmazing!

Yay! I have been long awaiting this film since discovering it on the Internet Movie Database about a year ago. I constantly stalk Michael Cera and Jason Schwartzman's imdb profiles to find out what upcoming films they'll be starring in and to discover they were to be in a film together just got me super antsy. This film definitely doesn't disappoint. Amazing characters (Wallace, a definite favourite played by Kieran Culkin), computer game styling, a band called Sex Bob-omb and amazing fighting scenes where Scott Pilgrim must defeat the seven evil ex's. I went to this one on my own and haven't regretted it. Sitting there and viewing this on my own was one of the best moments of my life. I was so so happy that day. I highly recommend all to see this and view it's glory!
Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment