Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fight Club

Edward Norton in a scene from the film

It's been just over ten years since the release of David Fincher's 'Fight Club,' but it was only just last night that I finally watched it. Of course I was only ten-years-old when the film was made so I would have taken no interest in it back then, but after working in a video store for 3 years I've been informed to watch it for quite some time.

Perhaps what I most enjoyed about this film was it's original storyline, without giving away the ending, I was quite impressed with the unusual twist it took later on in the film.
I had never seen a film starring Edward Norton before this and judging by first impressions I was quite blown away. Norton definitely steals the show for me in this one, even more so than his well know co-star, Brad Pitt. Pitt is always one to pick quirky roles but Norton really did it for me in this one.
Norton stars as the Narrator of the film, an insomniac that tries a number of ways to help him get some sleep. It isn't until he meets Tyler Durden (Pitt) that his insomnia diminishes when the two start a Fight Club. Basically the club involves a bunch of everyday men who get together at night to fight each other until they are bloody and bruised. What starts out as a club eventually turns into a cult and Norton's character becomes weary of Tyler's leadership role.
Of course there is more to this than meets the eye but of course that is revealed to us later on in the very surprising twist.

One of my main interests when viewing a film is watching how the Director shot the film and how it was edited in the post production process. The moment this film began I knew it would be an interesting one. We are immediately thrown into the life of Norton's character. His mundane work life and his trouble sleeping at home. The best way he describes his insomnia is, "When you have insomnia, you're never really asleep... and you're never really awake."
The dialogue in this film is quick, intelligent and often rather humorous.

'Fight Club' is definitely one worth checking out.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment