Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bright Star


Abbie Cornish in a scene from the film

It's when I watch a film like Bright Star that I want to runaway to England and fall in love with an English boy. That or I want to be taken back to the 19th century so I can have a boy speak to me in such a gentlemanly manner and woo me with his poetry.

I love period pieces. There's nothing like listening to people speaking so politely, viewing beautiful scenery and handsome men to admire. I'm a huge fan of the BBCs version of Pride & Prejudice, so anything set during the same period will naturally draw me in.

Bright Star tells the true story of the romance shared between poet, John Keats (Ben Whishaw) and student of fashion, Fanny Brawne (Abbie Cornish). Both are delightful in their roles and the romance shared between them is so believable, you feel your heart race when they share their first kiss and when he proposes.

God I'm such a sap for this type of thing, but this truly is a gorgeous piece of work. It's so moving, it even got some tears out of me at the end. That being said though, films are the main source of my crying these days.

This is a beautiful film that I will highly recommend to all that enjoy a romance film with quality.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment