Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Good Hair


Chris Rock

Like a lot of girls I always have something to complain about with my hair; it's too flat, my fringe won't sit right, it's too soft (yes I do actually complain about this!), etc. But after watching 'Good Hair,' these are all really petty issues.
In the documentary Chris Rock takes us on an adventure to learn about black hair and the lengths black women (and men) go to to make their hair look like a white woman's.

Before watching this documentary I only had a slight understanding of what a weave was from watching America's Next Top Model, but I had no idea about Relaxer. For those of you white people, like me, who also have no idea, Relaxer is a product that is made from Sodium Hydroxide. It is used to make a black woman's hair more straight and 'relaxed.' Chris Rock shows us how damaging Relaxer can be to hair; it can cause scabs, hair loss and permanent damage. This is frightening shit but somehow Rock not only makes this topic insightful and educational but also quite hilarious.

I laughed so much throughout this doco. Rock and his interviewees are fabulous. Interviews with Ice-T, Salt N Pepa, Tracie Thoms and some great characters in barber shops and hairdressers are totally entertaining. One of the best quotes in the film comes from Paul Mooney when he says, "If your hair's relaxed, white people are relaxed. If your hair's nappy, they're not happy." The lines these people come out with are amazing.

I also love the fact that there are hair competitions where hairdressers perform quick haircuts on black women's hair and parade around and dance on stage. There is such a huge following behind this industry and it's a huge money making business! Weaves cost around $1000! It's insane.

I loved this documentary! It was highly enjoyable yet insightful at the same time. It's a documentary for all races. Go and see it!

Rating: 5/5

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review Elly! You've made me want to go see it!!

    ReplyDelete