Sunday, April 25, 2010

Rope (1948)


Ha Ha if only Alfred made one of his cameo appearances like this in the film!

I am so disappointed with myself, it has taken me this long to see Hitchcock's 'Rope!' I'm mainly disappointed because I absolutely adore it and am adding it to my Hitchcock Top 5! I think I have a slight obsession with Hitchcock's films set in the one spot, i.e. Dial M For Murder & Rear Window. Rope, of course, falls under this category.

The film is set in an apartment where friends Brandon (John Dall) & Phillip (Farley Granger) have just murdered their friend David (Dick Hogan) and are set to hold a little party afterwards. Little do their friends realise that the chest on which their dinner is set contains their friend/son David. Keeping their secret from their former professor, Rupert (Jimmy Stewart) proves to be more challenging than Brandon & Phillip expected.

'Rope' has everything you want from a Hitchcock film; suspense, witty lines and of course the ever-amazing Jimmy Stewart. I think this is Stewarts best role in a Hitchcock film. The lines he says in the film are hilarious!
i.e. Rupert Cadell: [Phillip and Brandon have been arguing about strangling chickens] Personally, I think a chicken is as good a reason for murder as a blonde, a mattress full of dollar bills or any of the customary, unimaginative reasons.
Janet Walker: Well, now, you don't really approve of murder, Rupert? If I may?Rupert Cadell: You may... and I do. Think of the problems it would solve: unemployment, poverty, standing in line for theatre tickets...

His character's view on murder is a unique one but when it gets taken from Brandon's point of view it takes on a different meaning...

I think if you're a Hitchcock fan and haven't seen this one yet, you're missing out! It's a short one but damn it's perfect. So glad I can say I've seen it now!

Rating: 4.5/5

1 comment:

  1. Haha i loved the quote here. Great reviews Elly! Getting really into them :)

    ReplyDelete